I am really surprised I have not written about this topic before. Kyusho Jitsu Octagon Theories is in a way a misleading term. However I am a Kyusho Jitsu Pressure Point teacher applying the octagon theories to the science. So it works.
But Octagon Theories are not unique to Kyusho Jitsu. I was first introduced to these in 2000 and added this information to my root art of Hapkido. Subsequently changing it so much as to end up founded by own system because of it.
About a year ago I wrote an eBook on applying basic Octagon Theories to the science of pressure point self defense Kyusho Jitsu. I expected it would NOT be well received. But it was! So I recreated HPPT Humane Pressure Point Tactics Certification Courses based on this knowledge. Today I will explain the importance of this information.
That is the big question, why is this information important? Because for the science of pressure point self defense it allows better access to important pressure points, and provides better angles for attack. And this gives you a better result!
This is ancient information, based on the sword arts and updated to include the natural laws of both physics and biology. And not the modern day "political" version of these sciences.
Kyusho Jitsu Octagon Theories are based on the idea of "movement" and the universal laws that govern movement. Moving first to reduce the affect and danger of an attack and then countering the attack. It works when integrated into any root martial art system, including ground work.
But this is an advanced study and requires much training.
No matter what people like to think. Martial Arts training is the result of a time of peace, not warfare. Today, begin that war is a big profitable business there is much propaganda about war. It is also very common today to see soulless combat being taught as a martial art.
Most of it is honestly ineffective garbage well packaged for the consumer. The origins of the martial arts come from India and Buddhist monks who were disciples of the historical Buddha. They traveled to China and found the monks in poor physical health and therefore began to teach them the war arts, in a time of peace for health purposes.
An excellent book to read on the history is the Bodhisattva Warrior which I will LINK HERE.
Being part of a Buddhist tradition the Octagon and its movement are based on a Buddhist teaching called the 8 Fold Path of Buddhism. it is believed if you follow the 8 fold path you can reduce the suffering of life, and make yourself SAFE!
It was this knowledge that lead to the ideas and theories of moment in the Octagon. And when you learn, understand and apply this movement you become SAFE from attack.
But before we can get to the Noble 8 Fold Path we must discuss the 4 Noble Truths of life. Below is a brief explanation. This is an oversimplification, but will work for the purposes of what we are doing here.
1) The Truth of Suffering. Life is suffering. We no matter how well we try to think and behave SUFFER.
2) The Truth of the Cause of Suffering. We suffer for many reasons but the one which is the root cause is desire. Desire is a good thing, however when it becomes an obsession because the desire is unfulfilled we suffer greatly. Then the tendency is to have actions that make the suffering worse.
3) The Truth of the End of Suffering. Referred to in Buddhism as "Nirvana" this is the way life becomes when the suffering ends. I can talk for hours on what this means. But lets just say here that this is when life has REAL meaning.
4) The Truth of the PATH to end Suffering. The Path to Enlightenment, to the end of Suffering is the 8 Fold Path of Buddhism. This is the Octagon of life..
1) Right Understanding - Knowing that the 4 Noble Truths are indeed true and just the way life is. Life is a challenge to be overcome.
2) Right Thought - Thoughts become actions and then become things. Control of our thoughts is a must for a life with less suffering.
3) Right Speech - Speak only when your words are of value. Right speech means to avoid untruth, lies and gossip. These ways of speech only lead to more suffering. If you cannot speak the truth, then at least do not lie.
4) Right Conduct - To never fight to achieve self ends or do unnecessary harm. Right actions in all things.
You will notice in the image of the Dharma Wheel that its layout is the same as the Octagon we use in training.
5) Right Livelihood - Your work in life needs to be of value to you and your family. If your job does not give your life meaning and is a benefit to your family and the community, then it is not the right job.
6) Right Mental Attitude or Effort - Avoid negative emotions like anger. These happen to us all but staying in the emotion is a choice. As Buddha said "you will not be punished for your anger, but by your anger."
7) Right Mindfulness - Having a clear sense of one’s mental state and bodily health and feelings.
8) Right Concentration - Using mediation or prayer to keep the mind clear and focused.
The Eight Fold Path is also known as the "Dharma Wheel."
Based on these teaching an understanding of movement was created. But much of this information was lost to the world as the martial arts became commercialized. There are today only a handful or us with this knowledge or teaching it.
Kyusho Jitsu Octagon Theories are a very deep learning. And it is beyond the scope of any article to teach it.
Plus if you choose to learn this, and add it to your root art as well as your Kyusho Jitsu training you must follow directions to the letter.
If you add your own twist to things to soon, you will not get the results. This is the foundation on which everything I have been teaching for the last 19 years is based on.
Yesterday I released the first videos in a course on beginners Octagon Theories. I am expecting it to be about 4 videos in length and while the information will seem advanced to those who take the course, it is really only the beginning.
Learn more about Kyusho Jitsu Octagon Principles and Theories HERE. Right now there is a special price. So do not wait!
Many of my students have purchased the book. And they have taken the HPPT Courses. Have you seen this information before? Please leave a comment here and let me know.
I write about 2-3 articles per week. Sometimes less. However it is really easy to miss one.
But if you CLICK the "Red Bell" in the bottom left hand corner of your web browser I will send you a notice when a new article is posted!
If you enjoy these articles and find value in them Please share them with your friends on Social Media. This helps the KJWA grow, and also helps me bring you more awesome FREE content!
Have an epic day and feel free to comment below!
Yours in the arts,
Grand Maser Art Mason
Grand Master Art Mason is a professional full time martial artists and Kyusho Jitsu teacher. He is available for seminars and study groups.
Subscribe to our FREE Kyusho Jitsu Mini Course Today! 10 FREE Kyusho Jitsu Video Lessons. You get a new lesson every 3 days right to your inbox!